First-Year Orientation Details
We can’t wait to see you at your First-Year Orientation! As a friendly reminder, please make sure you review the information below to help you prepare for your Orientation Day.
First-Year Orientation is a one-day program. It will begin from 8:30 a.m. and end at 5:00 p.m.
Failure to complete the one-day program in its entirety will require you to register for another date. If another date is unavailable during your admit term, you will need to contact Admissions to defer your admit term.
Guests: Parent and family members are an essential part in your academic success! If you would like to bring one parent/family member with you, please read the information on PantherSoft carefully as you enter your guest name information during your registration process.
There are times during our program where parent and family member will have the opportunity to attend separate educational sessions, so it may not be appropriate for friends or other non-family members to attend. This is an opportunity for guests to learn important information about FIU tailored to their role in your college experience.
Please remember that once a parent/family member is registered, you are responsible for making any outstanding payments for both your charges and theirs. Any changes and/or updates to your guest name must be done 3 business days prior to your Orientation date. There are no refunds within 3 business days or less, or for non attendance.
If a family member is unable to attend, encourage them to complete the free self-paced Parent and Family Orientation online course at go.fiu.edu/pforientation.
Orientation Check-In -
- Students, Parent and Family Members: Your check-in location and time begins at 8:30 a.m. in the Student Academic Success Center (SASC).
- There will be times where students will be together with parents/family members. There will also be times where both programs are separate.
- Enter campus from the main entrance off SW 107th Avenue via SW 16th Street.
- Parking is provided free of charge at any garage on campus; however, we encourage you to park in Blue or Gold Garage to be within close walking distance, in any unmarked parking spot.
- If you are parking on our campus for Orientation, you must register your car for the program. The parking link is available here.
- Note: This is not a student parking permit. It is only a registration link to register your car for the day of orientation should you choose to park on campus for the day.
- Once you exit the garage, follow the PAW prints and signs to the Student Academic Success Center.
- Please see/print our campus map or use the FIU Mobile app, which has interactive maps to help you locate the Blue Garage (PG2) and Graham Center.
Lodging for Orientation Program
If students and/or guests intend to arrive before their Orientation date or require lodging after Orientation, all attendees are responsible in arranging their own lodging/travel accommodations. There are many hotels and/or Air BnB's around the Modesto Maidique Campus. The Modesto Maidique Campus address is: 11200 S.W. 8th Street, Miami, Florida 33199.
Items to Bring
- Panther ID Number – The sooner you memorize it, the better!
- FIU.EDU Password – You cannot check-in and check-out of your orientation day without it.
- Documentation to resolve registration holds – If you still have holds on your Orientation Day, such as health (immunization, proof of insurance, etc.) or residency (proof of Florida residency, etc.), make sure you have these items available and readily accessible electronically or physically with you.
- Driver’s License or other government-issued photo ID – to get your FIU One Card.
- A cellphone charger - You will be using your phone throughout the day for schedule review and interactive portions, and will be using it for the check in/check out system!
- A light sweater or jacket – the rooms inside can be chilly.
- Comfortable shoes - we will be walking around campus to highlight different buildings!
- A water bottle to stay hydrated - we have water fountains on campus!
- Cash/credit card – for anything you may want to purchase while on campus.
- Positive attitude – always a must-have!
- Special Initiative – you are invited to support your fellow Panthers in need by donating items to our on-campus Student Food Pantry. We collect these during check-in. Please see below for suggested donations:
- Grains (pasta, rice, etc.)
- Jarred pasta sauces
- Boxed pasta (i.e., macaroni & cheese)
- Non-perishable fruit
- Non-perishable protein
- All types of cereal