First Year Advising and Registration Day
Incoming First Year Students Only
Welcome to FIU! As a new member of our Panther family, we want to make sure you have the resources to start off on the right paw!
What is an Advising and Registration Day?
The Advising and Registration Day is a mandatory virtual academic advising session for incoming First-Year students. On this day, you will meet with academic advisors from your school or college. There will be a brief presentation regarding major-specific requirements followed by a short one-on-one advising session (10-15 minutes) to discuss your enrollment for the upcoming term, as well as the potential credits you are bringing in, and to answer any other general advising questions you may have. This session is also when your academic advisor will lift your First Time Student Hold at the end of your advising session and allows you to enroll in your courses immediately after.
SUMMER AND FALL 2024 STUDENTS - DATES COMING SOON
To-Do's for your Advising and Registration Day
- Complete the College Credit Earned (CCE) form. Don't know how to access it? Access the CCE Quick Sheet or the CCE Step-By-Step Manual.
- Review your Panther Degree Audit (PDA)
- Log into the Panther Success Network (PSN)
- Review your Major Map to see what your courseload could look like.
Day of Advising Resources and Expectations
Your Advising and Registration Day will be a condensed virtual advising session, during which you will meet with an advisor from your department and, together, you will plan classes for your first semesters as an FIU Panther. The CCE is crucial in this process, as we want to make sure that you only register for courses you need - and those you haven't taken already. Please complete your CCE form as accurately as possible. The CCE form will be available late October.
- You will meet your academic advisor during an advising block. What is an Advising Block?
- Make sure you have a laptop/PC available - your phone is too small to see the great things your advisor will share with you.
- Make sure to check that audio and video are working.
- Find a quiet room where you can focus on your academic advising session.
- Helpful Things to Do While Waiting to Meet with Your Advisor:
- Review and watch videos from the Academics Module in your Virtual Orientation - Pay Special Attention to "UCC, " "Major Maps" and "Panther Degree Audit"
- Review Major Maps at http://mymajor.fiu.edu
- Search for and place courses in the shopping cart for your upcoming term(s)
- If available, have accelerated credit or dual enrollment information ready to review with the advisor
- You will need to authenticate before using Zoom for Advising and Registration. Read more about Using Zoom as an FIU Panther
- Learn how to Search and Register for Classes
- Does one of your courses require permission? Click here to find out how to register for these courses.
- Find out more about Academic Advising at advising.fiu.edu
- Follow us on Instagram FIUAdvising
- If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact email@example.com.