Frequently Asked Questions
Is coaching free?
Yes! Coaching is a free resource available to FIU Students on a space-available basis.
What can you expect from your College Life Coach?
Your college life coach will:
- Support and guide you.
- Be respectful and honest.
- Provide support and guidance.
- Offer you a safe, judgment free space.
- Be empathetic and understanding.
- Provide an opportunity for goal setting and exploring personal motivation.
- Walk you through the process of finding solutions to roadblocks.
- Challenge you and hold you accountable.
What is expected of you?
We ask our students to:
- Be honest, open to change and respectful to the process.
- Share challenges and successes.
- Maintain scheduled meeting times and communicate with your coach.
What services do we provide?
- Individual coaching sessions
- Group coaching sessions
- Workshops on various coaching topics
Please check out Panther Connect (http://pantherconnect.fiu.edu) for our workshops!
What will we talk about in these sessions?
Coaching is about you and what you want to work on!
The purpose of a coaching session is to have the opportunity to:
- Reflect on your progress
- Identify your strengths
- Brainstorm ways to manage obstacles
- Learn skills that will allow you to develop and grow (academically and personally)
Each session will start with a check in, focus on whatever topic you choose, and give you the opportunity to create a plan that will help you achieve your goal that week.
What coaching is not…?
- Advising: If you are looking for support regarding academic advising, please log onto PSN and schedule an appointment with your assigned academic advisor.
- Counseling: If you are looking for mental health support, please reach out to Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) – http://caps.fiu.edu
- Tutoring: If you are looking for one-on-one academic help with your course material, please reach out to the Center for Academic Success (CFAS) – http://cfas.fiu.edu
Who will know about my coaching sessions or what we talk about?
The coaching process is confidential. In your first coaching session, we will review our coaching agreement and can answer any additional questions you may have.
What happens if I cannot make my individual meeting?
- Log on to MyFIU and go into the Panther Success Dashboard as soon as possible to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-348-8137 to reschedule your appointment.
Although we know that emergencies happen, giving us advance notice allows us to best serve all of our students.
How long are the coaching sessions?
Our coaching sessions are 30 minutes and students usually meet with their coach biweekly throughout the semester. However, depending on the student’s personal circumstances, the frequency may vary.
I still have questions!
You can email our team at email@example.com or call us at 305-348-8137. We are happy to help and answer any questions you may have!