Applying and appeal process
- When can I submit my application?
You are welcome to submit your application at any time throughout the year. However, in accordance with FIU, SGA, A&S Business Office, and GPSC policies, all applications will be reviewed on the following dates only. No exceptions.
- spring and fall semesters: 1st to the last day of the semester (excluding breaks/finals week)
- summer semester: June 1st to the last day of the B/C semester (excluding breaks/finals week)
No application will be reviewed during finals weeks, semester breaks, or transition period (typically the month of May). If the event takes place during the period when the applications are not accepted, it is the applicant’s responsibility to submit the application before the beginning of the blackout dates in order to fulfill the 5-week deadline requirement.
- If I am denied funding, am I allowed to appeal the GPSC's decision?
Yes. If the applicant is not approved by the GPSC, the applicant has the right to appeal. Students should contact the GPSC at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to the GPSC’s SOPs for the description of the appeal procedure.
Can graduate students apply to both RSOC (Register Student Organization Council)/graduate student organization and the GPSC for the same event?
No. This regulation is in place in order to avoid double-dipping. This rule will be strictly enforced. If you are caught double-dipping in any way, you will be sent to student conduct for violating policy.
Applying for GPSC and SGA Finance Committee funding or any other organization using A&S fees is also considered double-dipping. However, applying for GPSC and your department’s travel funds or using a professor’s grant is admissible. If you’re unsure if your other source of funding uses A&S fees or not, check with the point of contact (i.e., your department secretary for department funds or your professor for grant).
- Since the GPSC doesn’t reimburse hotel, food, etc., is it allowed to request SGA, RSOC, or any other organization that uses SGA money for additional funding?
This is double-dipping and not allowed. Students caught doing this will not be reimbursed and will be sent to student conduct for violating policy.
May I request gpsc travel funding from the Modesto A. Maidique GPSC if I am a Biscayne Bay graduate student?
No. BBC students should apply to the SGA-BBC Finance Committee. You can visit the following website by clicking here. Students caught knowingly applying for wrong campus funding may be denied such funding for the whole funding year.
- But in the past I’ve received funding as a BBC student, why can’t I now?
The GPSC-MMC may have approved funding to BBC students in the past but can no longer do so, per the GPSC-MMC statutes.
- Can I request funding for both conference registration fees and transportation?
Yes, Conference and Professional Development applicants can request for both registration fees and transportation. Please check the funding workshop presentation to determine which funding you qualify for.
- Can I apply for both conference and professional development for the same conference?
The GPSC can fund students only once per funding year. Applying for both Conference and Professional Development counts as two types of funding. You need to choose one type of funding you wish to receive.
- Can I apply for research once, conference once, and professional development once, all at different times for different events in the same funding year?
The GPSC can fund students only once per funding year for any kind of funding. Funding for two or all three funding types, even if they are for different events at different times, would sum up to two or three reimbursements in the funding year. You will need to choose only one event and one type of funding you wish to receive for the entire funding year.
- If I’m not the first author, does that mean I am only eligible for professional development funding?
If you are not the first author, but you will be the presenting author, then you qualify for Conference funding. You will need to provide proof that you will be the presenting author. Non- presenting authors are eligible for Professional Development funding. Please check the funding workshop presentation to determine which funding you qualify for.
- My abstract was accepted for poster presentation, am I eligible for conference funding?
Yes, if you were accepted for poster presentation then you are eligible for Conference funding. However, only one author will be approved for GPSC travel funding per poster presentation.
Please check the funding workshop presentation to determine which funding you qualify for.
- I’m not requesting flight reimbursement, does the 24-hour rule apply to me?
Yes, even if you don’t request transportation reimbursement, you must begin and end travel within 24 hours of event start and end dates for domestic travel and 48 hours for foreign travel.
- Can I apply for GPSC funding if I’m enrolled as a non-degree seeking graduate student?
Unfortunately, because non-degree seeking students do not pay A&S fees, they are not eligible for GPSC travel funding.
- Can I apply for GPSC funding if I’m receiving tuition reimbursement from FIU?
Unfortunately, because graduate students that are receiving tuition reimbursement from FIU do not pay A&S fees, they are not eligible for GPSC travel funding.
- Can i apply for GPSC funding if I’m receiving credit for my event?
Unfortunately, GPSC travel funds cannot go toward an event in which the student is receiving credit (internship, study abroad, events for practicum hours or continuing education credits, etc.).