Canadian Citizens

If you are a citizen of Canada, then you are NOT required to obtain a visa to enter the U.S.

You are, however, required to enter the U.S. under J-1 status. This means that when you exit Canada, whether by air or ground, you will be required to present the following to immigration officials to ensure that you enter the U.S. as a J-1 exchange student:

  • DS 2019
  • Acceptance Letter
  • Valid Passport
  • Receipt of payment for your SEVIS fee (instructions will be mailed to you with your DS-2019)
  • Immigration officials must present you with an 1-94 document, which you will keep so that you may enter the U.S. and exit the U.S. upon completion of your program.

Non-Canadian Citizens (Residents of Canada)

If you are not a citizen of Canada, and are a resident of Canada, you will need to schedule an appointment to request your student visa at your local U.S. Embassy/Consular office.  Please note that this is a lengthy process and you must initiate it immediately. You must take with you all supporting documents that the U.S. Embassy/Consular office may need.

Checks or Money Orders

All International/Canadian checks or money-orders made to FIU must be drawn from a U.S. bank, otherwise we will not accept your payment.


The OSA will coordinate with you on your  DS-2019  and additional health insurance requirements.  The university is required by the U.S. Office of Immigration to carefully check the financial resources of each student prior to issuing the DS-2019.  You must thoroughly complete a  and  provide a copy of your passport

Please forward both your declaration of finances and copy of passport to the FIU-OSA Program Coordinator, as soon as possible, but no later than  July 1st.

OSA Program Coordinator:

Jenipher Perez 
Phone: (305) 348-1913 
Office of Study Abroad site 

Once the OSA receives your declaration of finances and a copy of your passport, they will contact you with specific instructions regarding your DS-2019.  Please note, once your DS-2019 has been issued, you will be required to pay your SEVIS ($200) fee online; be sure to keep record of your receipt!  

You will be required to present your DS-2019 upon arrival in the U.S. (Customs department at Airport) so that you can be admitted as a J-1 non-degree exchange student.

Health Insurance

Students exchanging from Canada (J-1 Visa) must coordinate adequate proof of international health insurance by either of the two options:  

  1. Purchase alternative insurance coverage that complies with FIU requirements and with visa regulations. Alternative health insurance plans are listed on FIU’s Health Compliance website:FIU Approved Alternative Insurance Plans. Students must purchasethe alternative insurance plan and work with the insurance provider directly. Finally, students must have insurance provider complete FIU's International Student Health Insurance 2024-2025 Compliance Form. This form should be completed by the insurance provider and sent to FIU Immunization. Contact FIU Health Compliance for assistance at 305-348-3336 or 2024 dates for coverageAugust 26- December 14, 2024 
  2. Purchase FIU’s International Health Insurance plan with Academic Health Plan.
    • The FIU Insurance office emailed all international students with the option to enroll in the Academic Health Plan. It was emailed to the FIU email. All international NSE students should have received this email -including you! Otherwise, please reach out to us. 
    • 2024 - 2025 International Insurance plan: FIU's International Student Health Insurance 2024-2025. 

Foreign National Information

Prior to your departure from FIU, you will be required to make a payment of approximately $11 per semester and complete the Foreign National Information Form in order to satisfy a Tax Compliance Hold requirement.  You will not be able to request official FIU transcripts until this fee has been satisfied with the university.

All International/Canadian checks or money-orders made to FIU must be drawn from a U.S. bank, otherwise we will not accept your payment.

Registration Requirement

International students must enroll full-time (12 credit hours) per term, limit 3 credits online.