Male Engagement Initiatives
About the program
The Male Mentoring Initiative enhances the academic, social and professional success of male-identified learners. The goal of MMI is to empower our male-identified learners through mentoring and meaningful interactions with staff, former participants and campus resources. Additionally, this program provides students with the tools needed to become engaged and successful members of the FIU community.
Individuals who participate in this program will:
- Learn to think critically about the male identity and what it means to "be a man"
- Examine the expectations of the male identity in our modern society
- Discuss how men are portrayed throughout our nation's history, culture and media
- Redefine the expectations of the male role in family and social relationships
- Develop positive study techniques, stress management skills and leadership competencies
- Incorporate physical and mental health techniques that bolster student wellbeing
Male Mentoring Initiative is open to all students.
Spring 2023 Events
|Wed.||Feb. 1||3-4 pm||Meet & Greet / Networking 101||GC 216|
|Wed.||Feb. 8||3-4 pm||What Does Manhood Mean to You?||GC 216|
|Thurs.||Feb. 16||3-4 pm||Step Up! Bystander Intervention Training||GC 216|
|Thurs.||Mar. 9||3-4 pm||Debunking Superman / Managing Expectations||GC 216|
|Thurs.||Mar. 23||3-4 pm||Code Switching & Mental Health||GC 216|
|Thurs.||Mar. 30||3-4 pm||What it Means to Succeed / Professionalism||GC 216|
|Mon.||Apr. 10||1-2 pm||Men of Color Roundtable Discussion||GC 216|
|Fri.||Apr. 14||10 - 2:30pm||Men of Color Leadership Symposium||GC 355|